There are more than 300 types of dwarfism.
- There are an estimated 30,000 people with dwarfism in the United States and 651,700 in the world.
- People with a form of dwarfism are usually no taller than 4' 10".
- People of short stature can do just about anything an average sized person can – just sometimes in a different way.
- 80 percent of Little People are born to average sized parents.
- Any average sized parents can have a child with a form of dwarfism.
- Because dwarfism is primarily a bone growth disorder, most people of short stature deal with some type of health issues. These issues run from mild to severe and at times life threatening.
- The word “midget” is considered offensive.
- Such terms as Little Person, LP or person of short stature are all acceptable, but most people would rather be referred to by their name, than a label.
For more information, visit the Mid-Hudson River chapter of Little People of America at www.lpa-midhudson.org.